Mama mia!

The other day I was talking to my best friend and we both ended up saying "I can't believe we put our parents through so much." Specifically my poor mama in my case. I wasn't a bad kid but I wasn't the greatest. Skipping school, sneaking out in the middle of the night and dating some real losers (at least in my mom's eyes) during my rebel without a cause years really hurt my mama in ways I couldn't imagine at the time. She'd cry, beg, scream and punish me but I wanted freedom... And I was willing to fight for my right to parrrrttyyy. Mind you, I was also an AP student, scholarship-worthy, multi-charity volunteer... I was an overall "good" kid but my good behavior could never cast a shadow on my bad behavior. My poor mom. I gave her some sleepless nights and not only as a newborn.

I stop to think about the nights I'd sneak out and skip school... All the possible "bad things" my mom must've thought about. How heartbreaking to walk into your 19 year-olds room in the middle of the night and not find her in bed! (I snuck out plenty o' times from 19 to 21 because of my early curfew.)

Some of the most difficult moments in parenting I anticipate to be the teenage years, when we slowly transition into our pseudo-adulthood and selfishly claim our independence.

I'm sorry I made you go through some rough moments mama... You didn't deserve for me to make you go through all that. I still live to make you proud and hope I have redeemed myself... But I must admit, it wasn't until I had a baby that I really thought about those moments with remorse.

Bookmark and Share

0 comments:



Post a Comment